Recovering from a broken bone
Osteoporosis doesn't affect the healing process of bone. So if you do break a bone, rest assured it can heal as normal.
Some broken bones need an operation to help them heal, while others get better on their own. A broken bone usually takes between six and 12 weeks to heal, although this can be longer.
There are things you can do to speed up the healing process:
- Eat a healthy balanced diet, with plenty of protein
- Avoid smoking - smoking limits the blood supply to your bones
- Rest and take it slow
We understand that breaking a bone can be painful and frustrating. If you're in pain right now, remember that in most cases, it passes.
- Broken wrist - If you've broken your wrist it should heal as normal within six and 12 weeks. Read more about recovering from a broken wrist.
- Spinal fracture - A spinal fracture is when a bone in your spine becomes compressed or squashed after losing strength. Read more about recovering from a spinal fracture.
- Broken hip - A broken hip usually needs an operation to fix or replace the top of the thigh bone. Read more about recovering from a broken hip.