North West London Support Group
We support people living in Barnet, Camden, Islington and Haringey. People from other boroughs are also welcome.
Our group was set up in 1998 to support people with osteoporosis and raise awareness of the condition. In 2008, were very pleased that the Royal Osteoporosis Society President, Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall, visited our group, to see one of our classes in action.
We arrange five talks during the year, given by expert speakers on the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
- the latest research into drug treatments
Our meetings are held either in the evening at the Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead, or in the afternoon at the Salvation Army at Chalk Farm.
We can also provide information about exercise classes for people with osteoporosis. Please contact our group for information on suitable classes.
There is a warm and friendly atmosphere at our meetings and classes, and both provide an opportunity for members to meet and share experiences with other people who have osteoporosis.
Our group has over a hundred members, including some men and younger women in their thirties. We welcome all new members with a concern for osteoporosis.
Membership of the group costs just £8 per annum, and gives free access to all our meetings. You are also welcome to bring friends and family to the meetings for £2 per visitor.
Venue and times:
Evening meetings take place in the Atrium of the Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street NW3 2QG, and are timed for 19:15 for a 19:30 start, and end by 21:00.
The afternoon meetings, more often held in the winter months, are at the Salvation Army, 10-16 Haverstock Hill NW3 2BL, and start around 13:30 or 14:00.
We serve tea and coffee at both venues, giving people a chance to meet and chat. Please check this page for the date and times of the next meeting.
Please email us on email@example.com, or call Jenny, on 07778463779 (please only between 09:00 - 17:00, Monday to Friday)
Next meeting - Wednesday 6 November 2019
Time: 19.00 for a 19.30 start
Join us to hear and discuss:
Arthritis, its relation to Osteoporosis and Managing Chronic Pain
With Dr Helen Cohen, Consultant in Rheumatology and Chronic Pain at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore
Tea and coffee will be served prior to the talk
Venue: The Atrium, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street London NW3 2QG
Non members welcome, suggested donation £2.00
Previous speakers and events
- Dr Clare Batten, Consultant Rheumatologist: ‘Osteoporosis: the Preventable Epidemic’
- Jane Taylor, Specialist Fitness Instructor: Exercise Advice and Falls Prevention
- Dr. Michelle Frost PhD, Senior Lecturer in Osteoporosis, King’s College, London
- Dr Adrian Tookman, Consultant Physician Royal Free Hospital: ‘Managing Pain’
- Kate Fun: The Alexander Technique MSTAT
- Prof. Susan Lanham-New, Head of Dept. of Nutrition & Metabolism, University of Surrey, Member of NOS Nutrition & Lifestyle Forum
- Dr Nuttan Tanna, Pharmacy Update from a Consultant and University Lecturer
- Professor Raymond Lee, Dean of Applied Science at the South Bank University: ‘Active Successful Ageing’
- Prof. Juliet Compston, Professor of Bone Medicine, Cambridge University: ‘The Benefits and Risks of Drug Treatments for Osteoporosis’
We need you. Can you lend a hand?
Our group is run by volunteers and to ensure it continues to thrive, we’d love some more help. This is especially important as a key member of our committee has to stand down shortly.
We’d like to create a pool of active supporters we could call on depending on the requirements of our programme. We need people for occasional one-off activities such as Awareness Days as well as more regular help with refreshments at our meetings; organisational and computer skills would also be welcome to enable us to reach a wider audience.
To find out more and/or to offer your help please call 07778 463779. We really hope to hear from you.