NIOCG currently has 50 members (all registered healthcare professionals from across Northern Ireland) who work with people with, or at risk of, osteoporosis and fragility fracture.
The network includes consultants, doctors, nurses, radiographers and pharmacists.
We welcome new members and the network is free to join.
NIOCG is established as a Northern Ireland Osteoporosis Clinical Network under the umbrella of the Royal Osteoporosis Society.
NIOCG was established with the aim of:
- Providing leadership and co-ordination across projects designed to continually improve osteoporosis services across Northern Ireland.
- Promoting delivery of high-quality, efficient and cost-effective falls, fracture and osteoporosis services.
- Adhering to the core standards as laid down by the British Orthopaedic Association/British Geriatric Association "The Care of Patients with Fragility Fractures", and implement NICE recommendations.
- Monitoring achievement against these core standards through participation in appropriate national audits.
- Developing a shared care interface between secondary and primary care with a view to developing a locally agreed osteoporosis care pathway.
- Lobbying local MLAs and Commissioners to ensure prioritisation and equitable provision of bone health services to the population of Northern Ireland with the aim of improving diagnosis, assessment and management of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone conditions.
June 7 2021 @(accordionItem.HeadingSize)>
Steering group only.
Educational meetings @(accordionItem.HeadingSize)>
The next meeting will be held in 2022.
NIOCG Spring 2021 @(accordionItem.HeadingSize)>
Around 25 people attended the first virtual Northern Ireland Clinical Update 2021: Quality DXA Interpretation.
The meeting focused on:
- IR(ME)R 2017 update for DXA
- Best practice in DXA scanning
- Case studies - promoting precision and clinical reliability
- Evaluating the interpretation of DXA scans
Download the presentations:
NIOCG Steering Group
- Chair: Dr Damian Gormley
- Vice Chair: Dr Rosemary Kelly
- Vice Chair: Dr John Lindsay
- Steward: Mayrine Fraser (ROS)
- Karen McCoy